Thursday, November 27, 2008

Technicolor Potatoes

Hope everyone is enjoying food, family, football, and/or a paid holiday from work!


I'm not sure how to translate "Thanksgiving" into French, but I tried to spruce up our normal midday meal, American style.


First, I attempted to make my family's brownie recipe. 'Twas a bit harder than normal, given the lack of US measuring cups and spoons. Ended up using a drinking glass that looked to be approximately eight ounces for my "cup," and filled it to whatever fraction of a cup the recipe called for.


The baking was further hindered by a lack of highly-processed food products in the pantry. Couldn't find semi-sweet chocolate--does it even exist here?--or baking chocolate, so used dark. The sugar in the house is weird, organic cane sugar. The baking powder substitute is a little packet of mysterious pastry leavening stuff. French butter comes in much huger hunks than American, so I guestimated. The vanilla, in a little jar, appeared to be real, dried vanilla beans! What in the world does one do with real vanilla?! I sliced off a little bit and tried to mince it and throw it in with the melted chocolate.

I used the handy ruler page of my little Moleskine calendar to approximate the square inches of Vincent's mom's baking pan, compared it to my usual pan, and decided to multiply the recipe by 1.5. When the batter was finished, but didn't taste quite chocolately enough, I threw in some organic hot cocoa powder. It could very well have come out disastrously.


The brownies were in the oven and starting to smell good when someone knocked on the back door. It was a neighbor who was defying the normal cheese-selling schedule, and had to get her hands on some fromage, pronto. Vincent had disappeared and Florian was up to his triceps in curds and whey, so I weighed out the cheese, wrapped it really awkwardly in paper, and wrote out a faux invoice on a farmer's market flyer. Returned to the house just in time to rescue the brownies from crisping. They weren't quite the same as usual, but certainly passed muster.

French farms don't seem to keep a lot of dead birds around they way they keep cow and pig parts. Sausages would have to do in place of a turkey. Cranberries weren't to be found either, and without a turkey, one can't make proper stuffing. So, I settled on some potatoes and strange-looking little orange squashes. The potatoes had lovely, dark purple skin, and, to my delight, brilliant purple flesh! And, by some miracle, the water that they cooked in turned green. Yes, green. This organic agriculture shit is weird. Check out the resulting mashed spuds:


Enough about real food; how about some saccharin? I've much to be thankful for this year. Here's a start:

  1. My family and extended family, expecially for being so supportive of my vagabond yearnings
  2. Friends: best friends, Chicago friends who will be there when I come back, very old friends who surprise me with an email every now and then, friends who keep in touch even though I'm away, new friends
  3. My girlfriend. I still can't figure out why she likes me.
  4. Health and sanity. Zyrtec and French socialized medicine.
  5. Undeserved hospitality. Farmers, couchsurfing hosts, family, and friends who feed and house me and (advertently or not) teach me
  6. My grandma's brownie recipe
  7. Technicolor potatoes
  8. Bag balm
  9. Public libraries
  10. Point-and-shoot digital cameras

5 comments:

elena said...

do the purple potatoes taste like "regular" potatoes? they are really cool looking. we have to figure out how to get those here in chi-town.

Anonymous said...

Every year on this day the International Herald Tribune re-printed a hilarious column by the late Art Buchwald explaining to the French what the holiday "Le Jour de Merci Donnant" meant to us. If you go to Google, type in Art Buchwald and click on "Chacun à Son Goût on Thanksgiving" you can read it. It's wonderful.

I put this in my blog today. He translated Thanksgiving into: "Le Jour de Merci Donnant".

Who's your extended family?

Happy Thanksgiving. xxoo, T

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Catherine! Sorry I didn't send this earlier today, since it's already tomorrow there. :) Hope your hosts enjoyed the special brownies!

Catherine said...

Yes, the purple potatoes taste like their paler cousins! You may be able to find them at Trader Joey's...

Catherine Schwalbe said...

Hey Catherine,
Wonderful to read of you and your wanderings and adventures in the kitchen and farm. I feel like I have had a mini vacation here in my Chicago kitchen with my cat beside me and my four hens enjoy(?) their first walk in snow. Have a grand year or more and I look forward to reading more. Cathi