Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Moderately Incompetent

Control freak? There's a cure. Live in a new country for awhile. Doesn't matter if you speak the language; you won't know what's going on three-quarters of the time either way.

I keep wanting to tell my farmer hosts that I am not an idiot; I'm just a city girl who doesn't know French. Somehow, I don't think I will win the argument. "No, really, I'm not a moron...but would you mind talking to me slower than you speak to your four-year-old? Thanks."

Thumb update:
It grew back! (Mostly.) It's a hair thinner than before on one side, and it is somehow simultaneously sensitive and numb. That is, it hurts if I whack it even lightly, but I can't really feel anything well with it. I'm happy to be in one piece.

Happy bird-eating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will take six months for the thumb to get back to normal.
Pops

elena said...

happy turkey festival to you! i hope you have good cheese to eat since the french don't tend to celebrate turkey slayings the way we do here in the south of Canada.
glad to hear the thumb is mending well. keep saying nice things to it and it will continue to play nicely.
it's cold here but the past couple of days have been sunny so it's not too bad.
plus, i have cousins here visiting and sisters coming soon. my mom is in town staying at my aunt's.
we really like to celebrate for the big dead birds!
oh, and also, we're celebrating one sister's engagement, one cousin's wedding, the grandmother's 90th birthday and the other cousin's daughter's 15th birthday. phew...lots of cake and champagne after eating all of the other stuff.
miss you and glad to hear you're doing well playing your part of the 4 year old language challenged french farm hand.
:-)

elena said...

oh, and i meant in the place south of canada, not in canada. in canada they celebrate the turkey's end of life in october.