Friday, September 26, 2008

Ratatouille a la thumb

I am alive! Haven't had regular internet access lately, because every time I arrived in a new town, it was around six pm and everything was closing. Now, on the farm, the dial-up doesn't work so efficiently, but I'm enjoying the trip back to 1999.

Two days ago I arrived at Jocelyne's farm in Normandy, set my stuff down, and started to help the family make a Ratatouille for dinner. Not two hours later, I was slicing eggplant, slice, slice, slice, when off went the side of the top of my right thumb, into the lovely pile of eggplant below. I bled like a horror film and can now vouch for French socialized medicine being wonderful. The ER asked me for less information up front than the hostel in Paris.

Got rebandaged today and they said I'll live--I just have to go back to the ER every few days for a couple weeks to get gauzed.

2 comments:

gabi said...

Mmmm... Delicious! I hope you didn't ruin dinner, that would have been embarrassing.

I hope your thumb is feeling better. Eat a golden baguette for me. I've made it my personal mission this fall to learn to make croissants and baguettes and arrange them in beautiful baskets to share. Too bad you won't be here to be my guinea pig. That really sucks for you. It sucks more than losing a thumb.

Unknown said...

Dude! I hope your finger grows back! If it doesn't apparently there is a website called www.fingerreplacement.com.

Things are well here, although colder and rainier that one would hope for sept/oct.

Besos!