Saturday, January 17, 2009

Goy among the Chosen

I had hoped that I'd already put in my time with the culture shock fairy, but she seems to be following me around the world. What is this strange place? I pester Kyle with questions but we are the blind leading the blind. Further, I don't know a thing about Judaism. It's allegedly all about the same god I knew from my Catholic upbringing, but without Jesus, sin, heaven, or hell. What's left?!?

I've been going to Bethlehem twice a week to volunteer at a small nonprofit that does recreationel education for Palestinian kids. It's run by some conservative Christians from the states, which has been a sort of culture shock of its own, despite the fact that the org itself is not religious. Whereas my last job conditioned me to cringe at any mention of religion in a grant application, now I'm editing proposals to Christian foundations that ask questions about our org's "statement of faith," "systematic prayer," and philosophy on converting the "lost." Oy vay. To further offend my American penchant for separation of church and, well, everything, Israeli ID cards include the bearer's religion. I miss the French and their laspsed Catholicism. (And their croissants. And pig products and soft, salted butter.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You miss croissant, and crepe????
Just kidding, but you are in a part of this eath which is the birth of "monodeist religion". Everything can be an understanding or misunderstanding matter...Take care of you Catherine.

Anonymous said...

Merci pour la "hit". See, I told you you would never be the same once you ate sea salt embedded (interesting word in the context of where you are at the moment. . .) butter.

Postcard arrived, a little bent, but lovely.

I bought myself some purple gloves yesterday!!!! Did you see Michelle and Jill in their prune accessories on the train?

Also, did you read MOB?

xo,T

Anonymous said...

hmm...is "lapsed Catholic" an option for an ID card? Do you have to have one?

Hope you're doing well. We miss you! Sigh. The "remember when Jetter said/did cualquier funny thing..." stories abound.

I love, love your blog. If I end up on the TRF list of internet offenders, it's because I check it multiple times daily to see if you've posted :)

Dennis Fischman said...

Catherine, I love the honest confusion you express:

It's allegedly all about the same god I knew from my Catholic upbringing, but without Jesus, sin, heaven, or hell. What's left?!?

The short answer is: one God, not many; human beings and God as partners in creation; ethics, not mysteries; social justice, based on "remember you were slaves in Egypt"; a day of rest every week; a calendar of holidays that celebrate both nature and history; a system of rituals that create habits of attention to what's right; a sacred text that's endlessly open to interpretation; a sense of mutual loyalty and a culture based on thousands of years of history.

The long answer is: I'd love to talk some more about this.